Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Old McDonald never went birthday card shopping with kids

Today is The Brain's Birthday!!!

I feel bad for him. I really do, simply because he does not get excited what-so-ever about his birthday.

Have you ever tried buying a gift for an extremely picky guy who honestly doesn't care about his b-day? It's frustrating I tell 'ya.

I thought this year would be different because for once he had a wish list. Granted it was a short list containing only a Blu-ray player, but it was something! Knowing nothing about electronics and not wanting to get the wrong one, last night we went to BestBuy on a mission. An hour and a half later we left...empty handed. After adding up the cost of the Blu-ray player, HDMI cables, and myriad of movies, he just couldn't bring himself to spend the money. The one year he actually wants something!!!

On another note:

Yesterday, I took the boys to pick out birthday cards. Boy 1, being the economically sensible child that he is, decided on the 99 cent Hallmark 'Birthday Dog' card because, "Dad will appreciate that I didn't spend too much money on a card that he is just going to throw away eventually." The sad thing - He's right!

Boy 2 took a different approach. Boy 2 is in a bit of  a "Girl Crazy" phase (at 6 yrs old!!) and insisted on a card with a half naked woman on it....Umm... She say maybe NO! He settled for one of those annoying musical cards instead that sang, "You don't care about your birthday..." It was perfect, especially at 6 am this morning.

During our 30 minute stint in Greeting Card Land, Boy 2 found a card that had a farmer on it. Did I mention that Boy 2 can read now? Well, he can. The card read, "E.I.E.I. O CRAP!!! I forgot your birthday." Needless to say Boy 2 thought it was the funniest thing in the world and proceeded to sing "E.I.E.I. O Crap!" at the top of his lungs. I promptly warned him that if he didn't stop he would be in trouble.  The conversation went a little something like this:

Boy 2: "E.I.E.I. O CRAP!"

Me: "Stop that!"

Boy 2: "E.I.E.I. O CRAAAP!"

Me: "That's not funny! Stop it now or you are going to be in big trouble!"

Boy 2: pause for serious thought "How much trouble?"

Me: "If you do it again you will be grounded for a whole day."

Boy 2: again, serious thought process going on...." That's really not that long...E.I.E-"

Me: " EIGHT WEEKS! You will be grounded for eight weeks if you finish that sentence!"

No comments: