Thursday, July 25, 2013

Really Businessweek? Really?

The cover of last week's Businessweek...Hmmm...Whacha sayin' there Businessweek? Do hedge funds cause erectile dysfunction?

I'm generally not a prude but I find this to be vulgar. And I'm ok with vulgarity for the most part. However, this offers no added value. It's not even particularly funny. Or witty. Or creative. In my mind a couple of 12 year olds playing with clip art and sounding like Beavis and Butthead designed it in about 5 min.

Yet, based on info presented at http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-11/cover-trail-the-hedge-fund-myth this was all completely intentional and most likely thought up by a group of adults, assumably with degrees of some sort. Which alone is a scary thought.

I think it's in poor taste.  Perhaps my problem with the cover does not lie in the vulgarity of it, but in what appears to be the general lack of effort involved in coming up with the idea.

At least I now know why my mail lady looked at me funny when she handed me the mail. Having it on my desk makes me feel a bit dirty, like I had to go behind a corporate black curtain in the back room of a creepy old warehouse filled with rats to get my copy.


Another thing, the title of the article is "Hedge Funds Are for Suckers". Seriously???  What did this poor guy do to you Businessweek? Either way (perception or reality) it would seem to me that the guy on the cover is a bit...ummm... fortunate? One would think that his problem could simply be fixed with a little magic pill. Is there a pill to make hedge funds better?

I must disclose that I personally do not have a hedge fund, perhaps that's a good thing...

Memorable? Yes.
Good? Ehh - nope.
My advice? Subtlety goes a long way.

No comments: