Monday, July 8, 2013

What gets you through?

I was recently chatting with someone and the topic of my new favorite song came up - Thistle and Weeds by Mumford & Sons. It became my favorite during my whole ‘You have cancer’ ‘No you don’t’ roller coaster. The last part of the song’s chorus repeats “I will hold on”. If you don’t know the song you should look it up – quite powerful indeed! Like trying to maintain sanity in chaos. Imagine driving down the interstate in the rain, volume up, playing that part over and over, after contemplating whether or not the next few years may be your last. That was my emergence from the depths of self pity.


I don’t think this is something that's cancer specific. Everyone has or needs that "something" to pull them through the rough spots.

So I was wondering… What gets you through? Many say Faith and/or Family, but what else? What do you hold onto when times are tough?

My list:

1) Song: Thistle and Weeds by Mumford & Sons

2) My happy place – The Lake

3) My grandmother’s necklace

4) Movie: Fried Green Tomatoes

5) My wedding band – This, and my grandmother's necklace, may count as family but I often find myself playing with them when I need strength

6) Storms

7) My 4 legged baby – He is the world’s best Great Pyrenees!!

What's on your list?

No comments: