Sunday, May 16, 2010

I'm addicted and so are you

I know this is nothing new. I know it and you know it. We have all become addicted to our cell phones. But seriously! When did this happen?

If I can't find my phone I start to hyperventilate. Panic sets in. I have been known to storm through the house ripping cushions and pillows of of any and everything that had cushions and pillows in search of that tiny little device, certain that someone has done something evil to it! I couldn't have misplaced it! No sir! That thing is my life blood!

And it's not like I even know that many people. Way back when, I had the hardest time trying to decide who to program into my Fave 5's. Because let's face it, I probably call the pediatrician and the gynecologist more than I do my sister, and it's pretty handy to have those numbers readily available in dire situations. But, what picture would I use to indicate the gyno on my home screen? The flower? The martini glass? The tramp stamp tattoo? No, none of these would work.

I have even been late to appointments because I turned around to go back to get my phone. I mean, one of the 3 people that I know might have something they need to tell me right away. Or what if suddenly we are invaded by an alien race? How will I know to evacuate? What if my house catches on fire and one of my neighbors calls to tell me? (Granted none of my neighbors have my cell #, but the point is still valid!) What if The Brain calls to ask me to pick up milk or coffee or toilet paper while I am out. I wont get the message and I'll have to make another trip!

Want to know how to bring a nation to it's knees? Disrupt cell service! Life as we know it will stop. People everywhere will be walking around, holding their phones in the air, randomly pushing buttons in a futile attempt to find service. Those who have lost all hope of achieving even one bar will go insane. Grown men will be curled up in the fetal position,drooling, mumbling incoherently, while babies are left crying unattended. Fights will ensue in parking lots and on playgrounds between disgruntled house wives. Children will ban together in a Lord of the Flies manner because their parents will have gone mad.

Today's To-Do List: Give neighbors my cell #

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol I really like it. As bad as it sounds, it really true. I love you & I miss you !