Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Too many choices

It had been a while since I bought new pillows. And I admit, the last time I bought new pillows I wasn't exactly picky so I bought what was cheap. Well, our pillows SUCKED. Sorry, but there is just no better way to put it. In the spots that weren't lumpy the damn things were so flat that I think there was some type of vacuum/worm hole that sucked your head into the earths inner core, forcing your neck into a position that would render even the most limber of contortionist incapacitated.


So, yesterday I embarked on a pillow buying adventure, unaware of the intricacies of pillow buying. The varying degrees of firmness, filling,thread count, blah blah blah. This one is perfect for back sleepers, that one is perfect for side sleepers, this one conforms for maximum comfort, the one over there is down filled, and the one to your left has a quilted top. Firm. Standard. Extra Firm. Medium. AHHHHH

This is no decision to be made lightly.

First, the buyer is forced to analyze their sleeping position. Hmmm, I usually fall asleep in a side/stomach combo. Is there a pillow for that? NO. What about the 'toss and turn pillow'? NO

Is the pillow comfy? The only way to tell is to lay the pillow on the floor in the middle of the store and plop yourself down and pretend to sleep. However, the floor is hard. It smells bad. There is gum on the floor and a dead bug. There are people staring at you acting like an idiot laying on the floor in the middle of the store wondering if now is the appropriate time to call security. Your bed has none of these things. The floor is not the bed.

After 30 min. it was time to call for back up. I called The Brain, thinking he could help. Wrong. I got more questions, including the the all important cost factor, which I had not even considered at this point. Only to be told, "Whatever you think, but I think I like firm." No help there.

Since I'm kind of a middle of the road sort of gal, I gave up and grabbed 2firm for The Brain and 2 medium for me.

Finally, done. I have my new pillows. I can sleep peacefully and dream sweet dreams without wondering if I was attacked in the middle of the night by some intruder whose only purpose in life was to cause me neck pain.

I had to return 2 pillows..........

No comments: